Twitter icon
Facebook icon
Flickr icon
YouTube icon
Instagram icon

Representative Jeff Denham

Representing the 10th District of California

Need help filing your taxes?

Mar 18, 2013

March 17, 2013

Dear Friend,

As we get closer to the April 15th deadline to file federal and state tax returns, I wanted to pass along some helpful information and make sure you had all the resources you need to make filing faster and easier.  The IRS has compiled a variety of resources that may answer many of your tax filing questions, and IRS Taxpayer Assistance Centers (TAC) are located throughout the country and can provide face-to-face tax assistance if your tax issue cannot be handled online or by phone.

I encourage you to take advantage of the following free resources to help you save time and money when filing your taxes:

  • Tax Information for Individuals– provides a variety of resources to help answer many of your tax filing questions.
  • The IRS also offers free online tax filing software,called"FreeFile," which you can access here: You can prepare and e-file your federal return for free. Participating software companies make their products available through the IRS. Some also support state tax returns.
  • The IRS offers two free in-person tax help programs called the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and the Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE). VITA is a service for anyone earning less than $51,000 a year. TCE is a service for people over the age of 60. Find a VITA or TCE site near you at their website here:
  • Tax information for students – IRS partnered with education professionals to bring students the Understanding Taxes site,, an interactive tax education program for high school and community college classrooms.
  • You can also call the IRS’s live telephone assistants toll-free at 1-800-829-1040 who are available Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m., to help you prepare your tax return or answer many of your tax filing questions.
  • Keep up with the status of your refund by visiting “Where’s My Refund?” at This is an online tool that allows you to track when your refunds will arrive.

I hope these resources are helpful to you and your family.  As always, my office is here to help. Please email me on our website at or give us a call at (209) 579-5458.