Need help filing your taxes?

Mar 18, 2013

March 17, 2013

Dear Friend,

As we get closer to the April 15th deadline to file federal and state tax returns, I wanted to pass along some helpful information and make sure you had all the resources you need to make filing faster and easier.  The IRS has compiled a variety of resources that may answer many of your tax filing questions, and IRS Taxpayer Assistance Centers (TAC) are located throughout the country and can provide face-to-face tax assistance if your tax issue cannot be handled online or by phone.

I encourage you to take advantage of the following free resources to help you save time and money when filing your taxes:

  • Tax Information for Individuals– provides a variety of resources to help answer many of your tax filing questions.
  • The IRS also offers free online tax filing software,called"FreeFile," which you can access here: You can prepare and e-file your federal return for free. Participating software companies make their products available through the IRS. Some also support state tax returns.
  • The IRS offers two free in-person tax help programs called the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and the Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE). VITA is a service for anyone earning less than $51,000 a year. TCE is a service for people over the age of 60. Find a VITA or TCE site near you at their website here:
  • Tax information for students – IRS partnered with education professionals to bring students the Understanding Taxes site,, an interactive tax education program for high school and community college classrooms.
  • You can also call the IRS’s live telephone assistants toll-free at 1-800-829-1040 who are available Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m., to help you prepare your tax return or answer many of your tax filing questions.
  • Keep up with the status of your refund by visiting “Where’s My Refund?” at This is an online tool that allows you to track when your refunds will arrive.

I hope these resources are helpful to you and your family.  As always, my office is here to help. Please email me on our website at or give us a call at (209) 579-5458.