Congratulations to Skye Ocaranza, this year's winner of California's 10th District Congressional Art Competition for his piece "Ramephant"! Additional congratulations to Angelo Sanchez, the first ever winner of the "Valley Vote" contest for his piece, "Architecture."
Each spring, Members of the U.S. House of Representatives host a nation-wide high school art competition, offering a great opportunity to showcase the talent and creativity of our district's young artists. In 2017, California's 10th District held two contests as part of the Congressional Art Competition:
Official Contest: The winner of the official competition will be determined by a panel of judges and will have their artwork hung as a representation of California's 10th Congressional District in the national exhibition located in the Cannon Tunnel of the United States Capitol.
"Valley Vote" Contest: All submissions will be posted here, on my website, and open to the public for the community to vote on their favorite. The winner of the "Valley Vote" contest, as determined by the entry with the most votes, will have their artwork hung in my DC office.
The 2017 competition is now closed. Information about the 2018 competition will be posted as it becomes available. Below are some general guidelines for the contest:
Accepted mediums for submission to the competition are as follows:
- Paintings: oil, acrylic, watercolor, etc.
- Drawings: colored pencil, pencil, ink, maker, pastels, charcoal (it is recommended that charcoal and pastel drawings be fixed)
- Collages: must be two-dimensional
- Prints: lithogrpahs, silkscreen, block prints
- Mixed Media: use of more than two mediums such as pencil, ink, watercolor, etc.
- Computer-Generated Art
- Must be two-dimensional
- Must not measure more than 26 inches high x 26 inches wide x 4 inches deep, including the frame and may not weigh more than 15 pounds
- Must be original in concept, design and execution, and may not violate any U.S. copyright laws
- Must be submitted with release forms no later than 5 p.m. PST on Tuesday, April 25 to the Modesto office of Representative Jeff Denham: 4701 Sisk Road, Suite 202, Modesto, CA 95356
Please contact project coordinator, Kassi Fortado, at (209) 579-5458 if you have any questions.
Click here to access the student release form.
Click here to review the 2017 rules and regulations.
Visit the Congressional Art Competition website.