Home / constituent services / Tax Filing Resources
  • For individuals: start with www.irs.gov, which provides a variety of resources to help answer many of your tax filing questions.
  • For students: try the Understanding Taxes site, an interactive tax education program for high school and community college classrooms.
  • The IRS offers free online tax filing software called "FreeFile," which can help you prepare and e-file your federal return. Participating software companies make their products available through the IRS. Some also support state tax returns.
  • The IRS offers two free in-person tax help programs called the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and the Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE). VITA is a service for anyone earning less than $51,000 a year. TCE is a service for people over the age of 60. Find a VITA or TCE site near you.
  • Call the IRS's live telephone assistants toll-free at 1-800-829-1040. They're available Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. – 7 p.m., to help you prepare your tax return or answer your questions.
  • Visit an IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center (TAC) for face-to-face assistance. Find a TAC near you.
  • Keep up with the status of your refund by visiting "Where's My Refund?" for tracking purposes.   

For further help, please contact Congressman Denham's Modesto office at 209-579-5458 or D.C. office at 202-225-4540.